Human Foods You Can Add To Your Dog's Kibble To Enhance Their Health

Human Foods You Can Add To Your Dog's Kibble To Enhance Their Health

Feeding a balanced diet is one of the most important things you can do to protect your dog’s health. There are lots of opinions on what is the best diet for dogs but the bottom line is not all dogs do best eating the same thing.

However, there is a simple way to help enhance your dog’s meals to ensure they get a variety of nutrients that they might be lacking in a processed diet. Which is by adding nutrient-rich toppers to their meals.

Toppers are a great way to add a powerhouse of nutrition without the worry that the diet is imbalanced. By adding healthy toppers to high-quality kibble or wet food, you can give your dog plenty of variety. Plus, if they don’t like something or it doesn’t agree with them, you can simply skip feeding it in the future.

According to DVM Veterinarian Nutritionists, the rule of thumb for toppers is to feed 90% of their daily calories in a balanced diet approved for large breed dogs (assuming your dog is over 50-70 pounds) and the remaining 10% of calories for the toppers.


Here are some healthy topper ideas:

Eggs

Most dogs love eggs, which are high in protein, fatty acids, and vitamins that can help their skin and coat. They can be fed raw, cooked, and even hard-boiled, which makes them very convenient.

Sardines and Anchovies

Unsalted sardines and anchovies packed in water are also high in protein, calcium, fatty acids, EPA, and DHA, which have lots of health benefits. They may help protect the skin, and support heart, brain, and joint health.


Bone Broth

Bone broth is great for adding moisture and nutrition to a dry diet. It can also make mealtimes more interesting and help soothe a sore gut. Bone broth also contains glucosamine and chondroitin, which are great for the joints.

Greek Yogurt or Kefir

If your dog is not lactose intolerant, a small amount of unsweetened, plain yogurt or kefir which contains live probiotics may be beneficial. Dogs don’t need much, a small spoonful added to meals is enough or they might get an upset stomach.


Pumpkin

Pumpkin is popular for soothing an upset tummy but it’s also high in fiber and packed with nutrients. Dogs should eat their pumpkin cooked so an easy way to add it to meals is by purchasing canned, plain pumpkin (not pie filling) and adding a dollop to their meals.

Spinach and Kale
Dark leafy greens like spinach and kale are super nutritious for dogs. They are packed with phytonutrients, high in calcium, iron, potassium, vitamins A, C, and K, and fiber, and are known to be cancer-fighting. They should be fed gently cooked so they are easier to digest.

Zucchini and Yellow Squash

Most dogs like squash, which is packed with vitamins and minerals, which help protect the immune system and provide plenty of antioxidants. Plus, most dogs find steamed or gently sautéed squash tasty.

Salmon

Next time you make salmon for yourself, cook an unseasoned slice for your dog. Salmon is packed with omega 3’s that help keep the skin and coat healthy and it is also good for heart health.


Purple Cabbage

Feeding a small number of different colors helps ensure your dog gets a variety of nutrients. Gentle-cooked purple cabbage is rich in antioxidants and your pet is probably not getting much of this color in their diet. Only feed a small amount to avoid gas.

Brussels Sprouts

Brussels sprouts are another dark, green leafy packed with cancer-fighting nutrients. Like cabbage, only feed a small amount to avoid gas and digestive upset.

Apples

Feeding apples with seeds removed can add fiber and vitamins to your dog’s diet. You can feed gently cooked or feed slices as a cool, crunchy treat.

Carrots

Carrots are another vegetable that dogs enjoy crunching on raw. However, if you gently cook them, your pet may absorb more of the nutrients found, such as beta carotene for eye health.


Blueberries and Strawberries

Blueberries and strawberries are nutrient powerhouses that are lower in sugar than some fruits, making them a great treat. They are packed with antioxidants and fiber and most dogs enjoy them.

Green Beans

Green beans are full of vitamins and minerals. They are low calorie and high in fiber but make sure the ones you are feeding are free of salt.


Ground Chicken or Turkey Breast

Cooking some ground turkey and chicken breast is a great way to add yummy goodness that is packed with amino acids to your dog’s bowl. You can also add a variety of fruit and vegetables and portion it out throughout the week to ensure your dog gets a variety of fruits and vegetables in their diet.

Please let us know if your dog approves and what your favorites are. As always, please feel free to share with your friends.

You might also like: 11 Tricks To Spice Up Your Dog’s Food

Related Posts